Who do you guys think does the best Japanese Style tattoos?

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

silo

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:57 am

OMG !!! shige's work is freaking unreal ! even his koi is so much more realistic than any i've seen.

has anyone ever gotten a tattoo from him?

one must travel to japan i'd imagine? or has anyone gotten them at conventions when he comes over?
yodaddynukka
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:05 am

yeah i know a few people who got work from shige at conventions. he does the sickest oni's. he is in the states all the time, but you have to hit him up early if you want to be booked for a session. once i get a set date on my japan trip i am making a special trip to his studio to get work done, that is if he has an opening.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:00 am

jsm1289 wrote:great writeup but i want to ask a question regarding your list. All these artists, although representing the japanese tattooing, seem to appraoch it with different styles. What makes one of them better than the other in your eyes? personally shige is at the top of the list without including Horiyoshi III, followed by flatmo and filip leu, but that is irrelevant. I'm just very curious as to what categories you use to define the best japanese artist? And where do people, (other than Helmuth) who do the traditional style, like henning jorgenson for example, fit on your list?
Yes, you are right that they all aproach it with different styles.

I chose Dave to be number 1 because at this moment his style is the most recodnizable to me. He also has a deep respect for the culture, so he just doesnt tattoo japanese stuff, but gives them a new identity. And I see him as a "good will ambassador" for japanese tattooing. He makes it accesable for younger generations without losing respect to the roots. That makes him number one now.

Filip is second because its too obvious to put him at first. And I like to challenge things. Then Kore and Dana are where they are because they are my personal favorites at the moment. And there style is highly recodnizable and fresh. I know Shige is low, but I chose the simplicity of Kore and Danas work before Shige because to me a great artist can be one with more "easily readable" stuff. But, Shige could be number 2-3 easily if I would have tackeled the list differently. Then there is Grime. I havent seen enough of japanese stuff from him to make a complete opinnion but he was 4 before I made final adjustments. The list was at first like this and had a few changes along the way.

1. Dave
2, 3. Filip
3. Kore
4, 6 Dana
5, 3, 4. Shige
6, 4 Grime
7. Sabado

I thought about Henning and many many others, but just didnt know where I should put them. This was hard enough on it self.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:07 am

jsm1289 wrote:i'm sensing a little hostility there. I apologize if my tone expressed something different than what i was trying to get at. I wasn't criticizing him at all, i just was curious and asked the questions i was curious about. I am just trying to absorb as much tattoo information as possible, and who better to learn from than people who know vastly more about every aspect of tattooing.
I dont mind :) And I dont even know enough that vastly can be used in the same sentence with me :D If I knew vastly, then I could pick a part every desing that I see, know its roots and see what has been done differently. But thats just too much for me at this point. Maybe in 5years I will be close.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:42 am

Ok. I took out the numbers because I just started to second quess everything and this way I can just ad more artist when I feel like it. And list of "whos better" is stupid.
YakuzaIrezumi

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:58 pm

Best thread on ET.
Live4him
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:19 pm

YakuzaIrezumi wrote:Best thread on ET.
I don't know.. the Show Your Face thread is pretty amazing too :lol:
Aivanne
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:38 pm

Live4him wrote:
YakuzaIrezumi wrote:Best thread on ET.
I don't know.. the Show Your Face thread is pretty amazing too :lol:
I must agree.
silo

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:42 pm

hehe now aren't you guys glad i started this thread? one could easily have just told me to hit the search button. :lol:
Aivanne
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:39 pm

silo wrote:hehe now aren't you guys glad i started this thread? one could easily have just told me to hit the search button. :lol:
meh. cool for people who like japanese work. i could care less.
SweetSubversive
Hardcore

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm sure if you have Myspace a lot of you have already seen this but I thought I'd post it anyways.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... d=27206910
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:42 am

SweetSubversive wrote:I'm sure if you have Myspace a lot of you have already seen this but I thought I'd post it anyways.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m91y_gTlb4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahGx7QGPwdk

Those too are longer and better.
YakuzaIrezumi

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:31 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:
SweetSubversive wrote:I'm sure if you have Myspace a lot of you have already seen this but I thought I'd post it anyways.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m91y_gTlb4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahGx7QGPwdk

Those too are longer and better.
Oooooohh Irezumi,nice vids,thanks brother :happy1:
mshaf

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:13 pm

Aivanne wrote:
silo wrote:hehe now aren't you guys glad i started this thread? one could easily have just told me to hit the search button. :lol:
meh. cool for people who like japanese work. i could care less.
That was my reaction, too. Just not my thing.
hgiles
Hardcore

Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:41 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:I think the chest is done by Jess & Dana. Seperately to be more precise.
Actually my left side was done by Jesse Tseronis (not Jess Yen). Jesse covered up some garbage I had, and did a really good job. The Buddha face was done by a guy named Scot Fields. The rest is Jesse Tseronis though.

Right side is Dana Helmuth.