First tattoo - lotions? Paw Prints and Stars?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Sabra

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Ok, I'm thinking about getting my first tattoo soon. A friend of the family is a tattoo artist and he's explained how I should check out the tattoo artist before hand and check that everything is properly cleaned. So I know that much so far. Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what to use on a tattoo after it's done. I read that you shouldn't use scented lotions and things like that, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for actual brand name products that are good?

Also I had another question, hope its not too much for one thread. I'm thinking of getting a pawprint mixed with a star, sort of tribal-ish. I'm going to draw it out myself but I'm just curious if anyone has reference pictures that would help me think of designs for certain areas of the body? I'm not sure where I want it yet. I just want a small one for now, to see if I like it. I know paw prints and stars are way overused (most likely) but they do have great significance to me.

Thanks tons for the help!
mshaf

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Lotions, paw prints, and stars? Oh my!

anyway...

there is a sticky on total aftercare instructions. Read it. You'll learn a lot.

When you find an artist that is clean and whose work you like, take your ideas to him/her. If the artist is reputable, he/she will be able to come up with something better than you can probably draw.
Sabra

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm hoping to become a tattoo artist in the future so hopefully my design won't be too bad :)

I have a ways to go, I know, but art school is really helping me get there. I would never be able to pick up actually doing the tattoos though. Too afraid of using needles on people for that. I'll just stick to designs for now.

Thanks for the advice though! I'm still looking for an artist in my area who can relate to my style (at least a little). It'd make discussing the tattoo easier I think.

I'll be sure to look at the total aftercare post! Sorry, I didn't even think of checking for it before. heh.
therookie
Hardcore

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:00 pm

For aftercare I've used Aquaphor the past couple times and it's really good stuff imo. Was recommended to me by my artist
sadie703
Hardcore

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:19 pm

*sigh*

Do not use any A&D after the first few days, DO NOT use vaseline.

Use unscented lotions like aveeno and Nivea , apply a few times a day (DONT GOOB IT ON)

and like they said, read the aftercare instructions :)
Feesh
Hardcore

Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:32 pm

I have to mention this: Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion.

My artist recommended it, and it is excellent, better than Aveeno, which I tried first.

That's my .02
suomynona

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:52 pm

i work at whole foods market and i used the merry hempsters tattoo balm after 3 days
it's all natural + vegan if you care about those things. otherwise just listen to everyone else (:
Aivanne
Hardcore

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:28 am

just wash it as many times a day as you can. that's it.
lisa_hopson

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:44 am

Hello everyone, I'm new just thought I'd say hiiiii
I have 2 tattoo's at the mo I want a tribal lower back tattoo but aint seen one that's right yet :cry: I also want something on the inside of my right wrist, i already have a pent on my left inner wrist and a dagger with wings on my right upper arm.

If anyone can give me any ideas of what tattoo's to get your comments are more than welcome

oh n if you look at my profile it says im from usa but i meant to click uk
:roll:
Garthok

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:31 am

Every shop/artist has their own specific aftercare ritual. Mine consists of washing the new tattoo with unscented soap 3-4 times a day then applying a light layer of Aquaphor for the first 3 days. After that switch to a non-scented non-alcoholic lotion and apply a thin coat 3-4 times a day till fully healed. Worked great for my last one :)
sidelvar
Hardcore

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:38 am

lol, resurrected a thread and didn't even comment on it... lol I love fucking idiots.
dreamer5
Hardcore

Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:42 am

sidelvar wrote:lol, resurrected a thread and didn't even comment on it... lol I love fucking idiots.
indeed, but this thread wasn't even resurrected....it was hijacked....even better on the 'idiot' scale.... :wink:
flyingsumo
Hardcore

Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:31 am

This one may actually need a new scale...