Critique this artists, please...

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

ilyad

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:24 pm

So after a long time deliberating and finally deciding on getting a tattoo, I came here to find out a little more information and opinions from someone who has experience. Through the sticky's I found a local artists who is considered to be one of the best in the industry. I took a trip to his shop last night and was somewhat disappointed by what I saw. The place looked very bleak and dark, and didn't really stand out. The artist I want to do my tattoo wasn't there, but his friend (who works there) wasn't much help. I though I was asking fairly descent questions, such as their procedure on cleaning the equipment and sterilization process, what kind of ink they used and so on. These were not amateur questions like how much it would hurt or what I should get. After basically coercing the answers from this guy, he looked at me and asked me what my design would be. I told him my idea and he proclaimed that he isn't sure if the artist would even pick up the idea (now keep in mind, this tattoo is not of the crest or the letters, its my back piece that would be done in the style the artist specializes in and its somewhat very traditional). I left my name and number to be contacted and left the shop.

Feeling a little disappointed I was planning on heading home, but my cousin who was with me at the time proposed we go check out the artist that worked on his tattoo. We drove out to his shop and got to talk to the guy. Initially I was a little apprehensive, since I never even heard of this guy. However, once I got to the shop I got to find out a lot more about him. The guy has been tattooing for 10 years now. He started by apprenticing for a local tattoo shop and during the 10 years had worked at 3 different shops. He recently opened his own place and has an apprentice under him. He was featured on the cover of Tattoo magazine 2 times (I don't know if that is really an good judging mark) and his portfolio seemed good to me. While at the shop he gave me a tour of his place and we talked about his sterilization process. He has a certificate for the blood and pathogens cross contamination (Im not sure on the exact name, but Im sure you understand), he uses pre-sterilized equipment but he has chemiclave (now I know its not the mentioned autoclave, is there a difference?). He also has barriers on the bottles, table and lamp surfaces. After the tour, he had a client that he was working on, and she let us watch as he worked. He was finishing up color work and the piece looked good once he was done. Overall, the artist was very friendly, willing to explain everything and didnt really pressure me to do anything. He just told me to come back to him once I was done doing my research and ready to get the tattoo, at which point he would be willing to work on a design for me.

Besides what was mentioned earlier, I would like it if you can take a look at his online portfolio and let me know how good (or bad) his skills are. Now I would appreciate it if you would critique everything and anything.

Here is the link
http://www.slide.com/r/Ljw9XCre6z9Bxpk-PmM1ZQG9OuDWZWtz

You can click on each picture to zoom in real close and see his line work and shading.

Thanks in advance
Aggressiveninja

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:49 pm

His work is very good the colors and grey shading are vivid. On top of that if he has answered all of your questions that you have asked with no pressure on you to rush into getting your tattoo and you are comfortable with his answers I would say that you have found a good artist to do your work for you. From what you have posted I would say go with your second option and stay away from the first shop, not saying that they aren't as good but I would suggest that you go where you feel the most comfortable with the quality and safety.
wheresmymrdon

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:20 pm

def not the bets work ive seen, but some of it is pretty damn good. (and hey, im a NOOB galore, so I guess I dont really know shit anyway ;-) - but i think comfort w/ your artist is really damn important. I HATE the overconfident/too-cool-for-school tattoo artists. The second guy you went to seems to be a total professional - and if his style can accommodate what you want, id say go to him!
ilyad

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for your opinions. 8) I would like to see some responses from some older members on the forum, as well.

Also, is there a difference between the autoclave and the chemiclave?

Thanks
jim1961
Hardcore

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Also, is there a difference between the autoclave and the chemiclave?

Thanks

Might want to make a new thread with your question if nobody answers it here :wink:
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Work looks pretty solid....
EvilJay
Hardcore

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:49 pm

Hows it going JimJesus?? Not around much anymore??
magnumman
Hardcore

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:18 am

I agree, I think the work looks pretty good. Also nice that you were treated well and seemed to feel comfortable at that shop. Do you want to mention who the original artist was you went to see?
buttwheat
Hardcore

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:25 am

Looks pretty good to me except the wrench one.
ilyad

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:28 am

magnumman wrote:I agree, I think the work looks pretty good. Also nice that you were treated well and seemed to feel comfortable at that shop. Do you want to mention who the original artist was you went to see?
I went to go see Bob Roberts at the Spotlight tattoo. I didn't get to see Bob himself, but I talked to Marco Cerretelli. Now, by no means am I saying that the first shop is bad (and from what I've seen of Bob's work it looks amazing), but I definitely did not feel welcome.
ChillMike
Hardcore

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:44 am

I dig the color work....not totally convinced on the black and grey.....not to say it's bad at all...Simply I would rather get color work from that artist than black and grey.....

I'd feel pretty comfortable sitting in the chair.

JIM! Good to see you again, where ya been.........and jeez have you shaved the Jesus lately? :P
Aivanne
Hardcore

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:54 am

meh.
ilyad

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:14 am

Aivanne wrote:meh.
Elaborate, please. Is there anything particular that made you say that?