LA INK artists (low kat von d content)

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

MadSteady

Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:15 pm

So, we all know the general consensus of Kat Von D around here, but, what I haven't really heard about is how people feel about the other artists that work on LA INK. Corey Miller, Kim Saigh, Hannah Atchison all seem (to my untrained eyes) to be fantastic artists in their own rights. I've read (and I can't find the thread) some people go so far as to say they wouldn't get work done by kat, but, again, nothing about the other artists. So, Im curious, what do you guys think of the other's at the shop? Are there artistic skills not good enough to be included in the 'best of the best'? or are they on par of being very good, but not top notch?

Again, to my untrained eyes, my opinion is that the other artists are outstanding. Corey's b/g and portraits, Kim and Hannah's colors, I like 'em all, but of course, I'm more exposed to their work because I watch it on TV every week (yes, I admit it). :lol:
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:30 pm

All of their respective styles have MANY people who are FAR more talented. For example, Hannah does good color pin-up work, but I have at least 10 artists I would go to before even considering her. None of those artists are worth cross-country flights or $200+/hr sessions.

I don't think any of them are by any means terrible, especially compared to their awful Miami Ink counterparts, but yea, skip 'em and stick with the names on the list if you want a tattoo by one of the best.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:55 pm

What I find funny is: when someone ask if artist A is good for tattoo like this and that (considering the artist doesnt suck and can tattoo) everyone pretty much just says go for it. But when it is the artists in some of the tattoo shows, people ALLWAYS say that "there are better artists out there as they". Even if they dont say that they suck, like you didnt imnotatfault, but still. Its funny.

Like numerous people say that Chris Garver sucks. Little scary, and fucking ironic, that when people critique the artist on TV shows, the propably do it because they dont want to the tattoo scene to be watered down and great artists to be left out, but then they bash great artists just because they are on tv.

Its like: We know TV waters everthing down so we speak against of it, but we dont actually realise that we do what the TV shows does=waters evertyhing down.

End of drunken rant
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:08 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:What I find funny is: when someone ask if artist A is good for tattoo like this and that (considering the artist doesnt suck and can tattoo) everyone pretty much just says go for it. But when it is the artists in some of the tattoo shows, people ALLWAYS say that "there are better artists out there as they". Even if they dont say that they suck, like you didnt imnotatfault, but still. Its funny.

Like numerous people say that Chris Garver sucks. Little scary, and fucking ironic, that when people critique the artist on TV shows, the propably do it because they dont want to the tattoo scene to be watered down and great artists to be left out, but then they bash great artists just because they are on tv.

Its like: We know TV waters everthing down so we speak against of it, but we dont actually realise that we do what the TV shows does=waters evertyhing down.

End of drunken rant
My biggest gripe is that they charge such a premium because of the TV shows, whether you get tatooed on the show or not. It's been discussed numerous times that even the faceless Miami Ink artists that are there in the back or in the off-season or whatever charge a ridiculous amount. So if these artists still charged a reasonable amount for their work, I'd probably just say whatever, but people who don't know better are getting raped and are being charged $700 for a little bit of Kat Von Script and filigree. You could argue that those people deserve it, but if someone asks, I'll at least try to steer them away if possible.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:22 pm

On that point I agree totally.
BadWolf
Verified

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:23 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:What I find funny is: when someone ask if artist A is good for tattoo like this and that (considering the artist doesnt suck and can tattoo) everyone pretty much just says go for it. But when it is the artists in some of the tattoo shows, people ALLWAYS say that "there are better artists out there as they". Even if they dont say that they suck, like you didnt imnotatfault, but still. Its funny.

End of drunken rant
It's real simple. Ya see, they aren't tattoo artists. They're television stars.
Starring on television is their main occupation at this point. Tattooing is secondary to them. You should never go to a part timer for a tattoo.
The question was, how do they compare to other tattoo artists...and that is comparing apples and oranges. How they compare to other actors and actresses would be a better question.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:39 pm

BadWolf wrote:
Starring on television is their main occupation at this point. Tattooing is secondary to them. You should never go to a part timer for a tattoo.
The question was, how do they compare to other tattoo artists...and that is comparing apples and oranges. How they compare to other actors and actresses would be a better question.
Come on, Badwolf, of course they ARE tattoo artists - first and foremost. I've known Corey for years from the convention circuit. He has more than paid his dues in the business. While I've never met the others, I knew them by reputation long before that TV show. They are all respectable artists in their own right, INCLUDING Kat Von D.

Are they the best in their field? No, probably not. I don't recall where they ever claimed to be. But they are pretty damn good. Much better than that Miami bunch.

Actors? No, not really. The only role they play is themselves. That's not really an actor. That's a personality. Sure it's spiced up for TV, but no one would watch otherwise. It's called drama.

So, they whore themselves out for a TV show. So what? Who among us wouldn't do the exact same thing if given the chance? Suffer a few years in the public eye for that kind of bank? You bet'cha. In a heartbeat.

I KNOW I would.

And as far as their prices, hey, more power to them if they can get it. Get as much as you can, while you can, I say. As long as there's someone willing to pay the price, so be it. No skin off my ass.

So many in the business are quick to down these TV tattooists, but is there anyone here who's own business has not benefited from the popularity of tattooing as a direct result of these shows? I know I have.
therookie
Hardcore

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:37 pm

MattCrunk wrote:
BadWolf wrote:
Come on, Badwolf, of course they ARE tattoo artists - first and foremost. I've known Corey for years from the convention circuit. He has more than paid his dues in the business. While I've never met the others, I knew them by reputation long before that TV show. They are all respectable artists in their own right, INCLUDING Kat Von D.

Are they the best in their field? No, probably not. I don't recall where they ever claimed to be. But they are pretty damn good. Much better than that Miami bunch.

Actors? No, not really. The only role they play is themselves. That's not really an actor. That's a personality. Sure it's spiced up for TV, but no one would watch otherwise. It's called drama.

So, they whore themselves out for a TV show. So what? Who among us wouldn't do the exact same thing if given the chance? Suffer a few years in the public eye for that kind of bank? You bet'cha. In a heartbeat.

I KNOW I would.

And as far as their prices, hey, more power to them if they can get it. Get as much as you can, while you can, I say. As long as there's someone willing to pay the price, so be it. No skin off my ass.

So many in the business are quick to down these TV tattooists, but is there anyone here who's own business has not benefited from the popularity of tattooing as a direct result of these shows? I know I have.
I agree with you Matt. It's kinda like all the scene kids who start to hate a band and say that they're no good because they "sold out" and got a good record deal and aren't underground or "cool" anymore...it's nonsense. They got the opportunity because they're talented and worked hard to get that far. I think it's probably the same story with the TA's on L.A. Ink.
BadWolf
Verified

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:58 pm

MattCrunk wrote:
BadWolf wrote:

I KNOW I would.

The shows are scripted, the tattoos they do are decided upon by a network exec, and they make more money for being on television than they do at tattooing.
That means... BY DEFINITION....they are TELEVISION STARS. Tattooing is a second job now.
Who among us wouldn't do the exact same thing if given the chance?
Me. I assure you.
Oddly enough, I was just as busy 20 years ago. Which was about 10 years before any of them even picked up a tattoo machine.
BadWolf
Verified

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:12 am

therookie wrote: I agree with you Matt. It's kinda like all the scene kids who start to hate a band and say that they're no good because they "sold out" and got a good record deal and aren't underground or "cool" anymore....
It is NOTHING like that. The goal of a professional musician is to make money playing music. The goal of a professional tattoo artist has NOTHING to do with being a tv starlet. Once being a tv starlet becomes your main occupation, and dictates what you can and cannot do, you are then a PART TIME TATTOOIST. You are no longer a tattoo artist, first and foremost.
Try walking into her shop and getting a tattoo without going through the network's "screening process"and you'll see which is more important to them.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:23 am

Sorry, guy. You can think or say what you want about them, but they got the job. What you're saying comes off sounding like sour grapes, even if it's not meant to.

The notion that they are somehow lesser tattooists now that they are TV stars is hogwash.

I have always been a visual artist. I took a break from it for five years to make my living playing music. But I was never less of a visual artist because I earned a paycheck playing guitar. I was just both. We are what we are.

You're either a good artist or you're not. They are.
BadWolf
Verified

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:42 am

Matt...most of the country doesn't give a rat's ass about their tattooing. They want to see which rockstar that fucking retard is madly in love with forever THIS MONTH. Now the only question on everyone's pea brain is:
Is she gonna get Orbie's name covered up with Nikki Sixx's name??????????? :roll:
She's just a freak show.
HollyWEIRD
Aivanne
Hardcore

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:44 am

haaaaa jealousy......
BadWolf
Verified

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:47 am

Aivanne wrote:haaaaa jealousy......
Yea...I always dreamed of being a professional groupie and drama queen.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:54 am

BadWolf wrote:
Aivanne wrote:haaaaa jealousy......
Yea...I always dreamed of being a professional groupie and drama queen.
never said you were the jealous one. but since you replied.... :D