LA INK artists (low kat von d content)

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

BadWolf
Verified

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:00 pm

MattCrunk wrote: Yes, art IS subjective, but artistic standards are not.
YES, they are. You can do anything from painting a chappel to pissing in a jar with a crucifix in it and call it art, and YOU'D BE CORRECT!
But Hepatitus isn't interested in your OPINION. IT IS SUBJECT TO SCIENTIFIC FACT.
Your "art" is ONE OF MANY PERSONAL INTERPRETATIONS of what tattooing can be...and it will appeal to a CERTAIN PERCENTAGE of the population. That's it. That's all the art matters.
The rest is not a matter of opinion or open to debate. It's scientific FACT.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:29 pm

CxCx wrote:If both of the other shops that opened in our town were high quality shops with amazing artists, then I'd find your point to be valid. As it stands, one is an alright shop (run by a guy that started out as a scratcher) and the other is a group of factory workers that were scratchers on the side and decided to "make a go" of it. The "level of artistry"? I'd honestly rather NOT go there OR the issue of safety.
You need only pick up a tattoo magazine from 10 years ago and compare it to one today to see how much the overall quality of art has improved. That much can't be argued.

Sure, at the street level tattooing's current popularity has attracted a lot of bottom feeders seeking to cash in. But on the flip-side it now also attracts very talented people with art degrees, who before would have gone into other fields.

The result of this is that there are a lot of old timers who may have been the shit 10 years ago, but as the artistry on a whole has risen over the years, they didn't or couldn't keep up.

There's a guy in a neighboring town that's a perfect example of this. He opened his shop in 1982 and for years he was the big fish. His work back then was the best around. But today, he's still churning out the same old fine-line biker style he was doing 20 years ago. It all looks the same and he can't (or won't) do anything else. His is now one of the worst shops around. It's not that he's any worse, it's just that everyone else is better.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:55 pm

BadWolf wrote:
MattCrunk wrote: Yes, art IS subjective, but artistic standards are not.
YES, they are. You can do anything from painting a chappel to pissing in a jar with a crucifix in it and call it art, and YOU'D BE CORRECT!
Yes, you can CALL it art, but is it? This has long been a heated debate among art critics and historians alike: whether one can simple declare something "art" and there be no other test. The later example might be called art, but it's also lazy. The artist's only hope of drawing attention is to offend.

But there are rudimentary principles of design: rules of balance and symmetry, line quality and flow, color value and theory, etc. which are either followed or they are not. That's basic design 101 in art school.
CxCx
Verified

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Kids with Art Degrees getting into tattooing?!?!?!!?

*scratches head asecond and then has a realization*

*raises hand*

THAT'S ME!!!!!! :wink:
Aivanne
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:36 pm

yeah college degrees....
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:40 pm

One can also make an incredibly good arguement that if you adhere strictly to the guidelines of "art" then it ceases to even BE art, and becomes nothing more than a craft.
It's a catch 22.
Art invokes a reaction. And that reaction is NOT limited to POSITIVE reaction. If you are striving to please EVERYONE, then you aren't an artist. You are a delusional craftsman.
What makes tattooing unique is that the subject matter of the piece isn't necessarily art....nor does it need to be....because the ACT OF TATTOOING, itself is art. It invokes a strong reaction.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:52 pm

this thread is hilarious.
therookie
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Aivanne wrote:this thread is hilarious.
Yeah...pretty much.
Cathy23
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:38 pm

:D im enjoying it so keep it going
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:41 pm

It is funny. That's the point. We can sit here and argue until the sun swallows the Earth about what art is, and how art should be done, and what constitutes "good" art...and no one will ever be right or wrong. It will all just be opinions. But it is not an opinion that deadly viruses exist. It is a scientific fact. It is not an opinion that those issues must be addressed in a certain manner. It is a scientific fact.
So, the only thing subjective about tattooing is the art. It's pretty simple, and in reality, it's funny that anyone would argue with that FACT.
If it matches your fuckin' sofa, it's art...to someone.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:32 pm

TRUE STORY!

Gal just walks in my studio and shows me a FUCKED UP ahnk that she got done by Tim when he was guest artisting at Miami Ink. She said she paid $200 for it, and has never been happy with it. Same size tattoo I do every day for $60-80...and less than half the quality.
I told her I'd do it for free, if she did a photo shoot for me. Booked her for Tue. Evening.
So, I guess I owe you an apology Matt.
Those shows really DO bring us more business! :lol:
reefdiver
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:52 pm

ya gonna post before and after ?
mshaf

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:53 pm

BadWolf wrote:Same size tattoo I do every day for $60-80...and less than half the quality.
Wait... your quality is less than half of his?

:P
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Yea, I'll post pics. It's really scarred. You can see he chewed her up real good.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:55 am

HHAHAHAHAhahHAHAHhahahaHAHHahahHAHHAHAhahHahahHAHAHHahHHHHAAAAAAAhhhahHAHahHAAAAAAHhahHAHAha

gay.