Mario Barth vs. Kat Von D

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

beakerztoyz

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 pm

yea a chain of tattoo places would appeal to a lot of people, i agree they would prob have a high turnover rate. the trouble i could see for existing artists is that most people wouldnt know the difference between one or the other, especially if you are not into the local scene, i have been looking around and talking around for a good local shop [think i found one} but it is tricky to know whos good and whos not, who just does mostly flash and who likes to do custom stuff, yeh people who know would still fly across the country to so and so but i would imagine most work for most people is local shops doing local people, so for the sake of all the artists out there i hope something like this doesnt happen because if it did it might develop brand recognition where people go there because it is not intimidating, or they would know what they are getting whearas somewhere else they might not just my 2cents
therookie
Hardcore

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:34 pm

beakerztoyz wrote:yea a chain of tattoo places would appeal to a lot of people, i agree they would prob have a high turnover rate. the trouble i could see for existing artists is that most people wouldnt know the difference between one or the other, especially if you are not into the local scene, i have been looking around and talking around for a good local shop [think i found one} but it is tricky to know whos good and whos not, who just does mostly flash and who likes to do custom stuff, yeh people who know would still fly across the country to so and so but i would imagine most work for most people is local shops doing local people, so for the sake of all the artists out there i hope something like this doesnt happen because if it did it might develop brand recognition where people go there because it is not intimidating, or they would know what they are getting whearas somewhere else they might not just my 2cents
They're called periods dude. That whole thing is two sentences :lol: .

And, no, it's really not that hard to tell who's good and who's not. You look at their portfolios and do your research. People these days are just lazy and ignorant. They decide they want a tattoo and then rush into the first shop they come across and wonder why they got such a shitty tattoo. Most shops that do custom work market themselves that way. If something about the artist's work or practices is unclear, a quick conversation initiated with a few half-way intelligent questions on the customer's part will do wonders.

It's really not that tricky. It just takes some time, effort, and conscious thought. Unfortunately, like I said, most people are too lazy for such inconveniences. If that's the case, they shouldn't be getting a tattoo in the first place; if they do, they deserve exactly what they get lol.
Feesh
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:50 am

therookie wrote:They're called periods dude. That whole thing is two sentences :lol: .

And, no, it's really not that hard to tell who's good and who's not. You look at their portfolios and do your research. People these days are just lazy and ignorant. They decide they want a tattoo and then rush into the first shop they come across and wonder why they got such a shitty tattoo. Most shops that do custom work market themselves that way. If something about the artist's work or practices is unclear, a quick conversation initiated with a few half-way intelligent questions on the customer's part will do wonders.

It's really not that tricky. It just takes some time, effort, and conscious thought. Unfortunately, like I said, most people are too lazy for such inconveniences. If that's the case, they shouldn't be getting a tattoo in the first place; if they do, they deserve exactly what they get lol.
Right on, rook. You know, I am not trying to establish a "Grammar Gestapo," but I keep reading posts that make me ask, "Does this person understand English? Does he want us to understand him?" etc.

And I agree with you completely on finding the right shop/artist. I was too hasty; I thought I had searched enough, and that I was making an informed decision when I got my phoenix. Suffice it to say, I wish I had it to do over.

And now I am doing things differently in my search for a new artist (taking my time, being more patient). For my next piece, I don't ever want to have to wonder, "What if ...."
Rider68
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:17 pm

Feesh wrote:You know, I am not trying to establish a "Grammar Gestapo," but I keep reading posts that make me ask, "Does this person understand English? Does he want us to understand him?" etc.
Yep. Sometimes it's really bad, but I refuse to keep correcting people who obviously don't give a shit. I spend enough time correcting the grammar of my students, which I get paid to do. If I can't figure it what someone posted, I'm just moving on to the next post.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:27 pm

Bawlin wrote:When you lay it out like that, the idea has potential, but it's only a matter of time before someone gets a shitty tattoo from one of the locations and word spreads like wildfire.
Places like MC Donalds are constantly being drag in to the dirt by numerous people and it doesnt do them harm. Why? Because peoploe dont want to think themself, just do and act with out any effort. Which leads to the next topic
Bawlin wrote:I also would imagine insanely high turnover as these artists realize that REAL artists are earning 10x as much money as they are and this is a huge cost that the shop/chain would have to eat as training a tattooist takes time and money.
But when they realise that it actually takes hard work, talent and detication to do so, they will be set on just acting like a great tattooer and banging all the chicks and guys who think they are cool shit. Like many people do now.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Btw. I didn't have any problem understanding rookies post.
therookie
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:Btw. I didn't have any problem understanding rookies post.
It wasn't my post that Feesh and Rider were commenting on. I was giving beakerztoyz a hard time on not using punctuation lol, and I believe Feesh was simply agreeing.
Rider68
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 pm

therookie wrote:
PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:Btw. I didn't have any problem understanding rookies post.
It wasn't my post that Feesh and Rider were commenting on. I was giving beakerztoyz a hard time on not using punctuation lol, and I believe Feesh was simply agreeing.
Yep. I was just admiring rookie for actually taking time to read that literary clusterfuck.
therookie
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Rider68 wrote:
therookie wrote:
Yep. I was just admiring rookie for actually taking time to read that literary clusterfuck.
Thanks, teach! :lol:

EDIT: Clusterfuck...that's a good word; I'll have to remember that one.
Rider68
Hardcore

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 pm

therookie wrote:EDIT: Clusterfuck...that's a good word; I'll have to remember that one.
When we're at work and students are around, we simply refer to it as a "Charlie Foxtrot."
mykel605
Hardcore

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:34 am

the thought of tattoo chains, while unappealing as that may be is no doubt gonna happen in our lifetimes. absolutely corporate america is gonna go for it, to try and milk a few dollars out of the uneducated monkeys, but in my humble opinion the cream rises to the top there will always be artists who are a bit better and more talented that will stand alone and shine brighter than the rest and those artists will survive as stand alone fixtures in the industry. these discount shoppers will get what they pay for from these chains and will no doubt be unhappy, but thats the choice they will make, they'll get what they pay for. i got no problem making a few dollars repairing or covering up someone else's crap.

here is a new wrinkle in the works: later this year freedom ink will be introduced to the market place, - http://www.freedom2ink.com/

a reversable tattoo, WTF?, this is a big company with deep pockets that is posed to drop this later this year in a massive advertising blitz and who just might have the showcase needed if they could induce some of these tattoo shows to play along. personally i want nothing to do with it, but customer demand often pushes or drives our trade in directions i am not always happy about.. no doubt von douche and her merry band would jump on this for a few bucks...