Tattoo fading before it's healed?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

sadie703
Hardcore

Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:58 pm

imnotatfault wrote:
sadie703 wrote:haha i like the last battle as well .. best part of the movie
I have this entire rap memorized and I frequently just recite it while driving.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=p_BRXdckQIY[/youtube]
oo that gave me goosebumps lol

i love that part ^_^
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:04 am

Yea, this one is definitely up there. Right next to when Prince is doing Darling Nikki on the top of the speaker tower and thrusting to the guitar, which sadly, is not on YouTube.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:54 am

sadie703 wrote:so wait, you bought the needles from another shop??

if he had his own shop shouldnt he have had that?? and how could he sterilize that shit properly from his home? if he had a autoclave was it in a seperate room away from any germs??
Just out of curiosity, where would you have to keep an autoclave in order to keep it away from "any germs"? Your home? A licensed studio? A hospital emergency room?

The answer is "AAAANNNNNNNNNGH": none of the above. Germs are everywhere, deary.

I do understand the sentiment behind your statement. Agreed that any competent tattooist will have his own needles, and an autoclave. And you can also bet you'd never get a quality tattoo for just the "cost of the ink", no matter where it is done. (you always get what you pay for.)

BUT there is no special magic about a tattoo studio that suddenly makes everything right. The only real difference between a home and a studio is that a licensed studio can be regulated. But, if one knows and cares what they are doing, a trained tattoo artist can tattoo safely anywhere: a tattoo convention floor, a hotel room, a ceremonial hut in the South Pacific, and YES, dare I say it . . . a home!

I'm not defending home tattooing in general, as it usually screams "scratcher". Indeed most people who tattoo in homes only do so because they are not good enough for a studio. But there are RARE exceptions.

I happen to know a very good tattooist who has worked in prominent shops all over the country. He owned his own street shop for years, but nowadays he tattoos only from his home, much in the tradition of Japanese irezumi masters. He just simply got tired of the hustle and bustle of a street shop and now prefers the anonymity and privacy of a home studio, which, by the way, his is a dedicated room setup as professionally as any licensed shop. He only does large custom work, mostly half-sleeve or larger, by appointment only, and clients are by special referral only. I have work from him myself.

I also know of real heavyweights in the biz who sometimes tattoo out of hotel rooms (Ms. Von D aside). I myself have made house calls for special clients when circumstances didn't permit them to visit my studio. Of course this is a rare occurrence and a premium is always charged.

But, just the same remember that 99.9% of those tattooing from a home are indeed nothing but garden variety scratchers. Just making a point.
ChillMike
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:23 am

sadie703 wrote:
imnotatfault wrote:

i love that part ^_^
I have zero clue what this thread is about but that was lame go watch scribble jam for some real battles.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:34 am

MattCrunk wrote:

if he had his own shop shouldnt he have had that?? and how could he sterilize that shit properly from his home? if he had a autoclave was it in a seperate room away from any germs??
Just out of curiosity, where would you have to keep an autoclave in order to keep it away from "any germs"? Your home? A licensed studio? A hospital emergency room?

The answer is "AAAANNNNNNNNNGH": none of the above. Germs are everywhere, deary.

I do understand the sentiment behind your statement. Agreed that any competent tattooist will have his own needles, and an autoclave. And you can also bet you'd never get a quality tattoo for just the "cost of the ink", no matter where it is done. (you always get what you pay for.)

BUT there is no special magic about a tattoo studio that suddenly makes everything right. The only real difference between a home and a studio is that a licensed studio can be regulated. But, if one knows and cares what they are doing, a trained tattoo artist can tattoo safely anywhere: a tattoo convention floor, a hotel room, a ceremonial hut in the South Pacific, and YES, dare I say it . . . a home!

I'm not defending home tattooing in general, as it usually screams "scratcher". Indeed most people who tattoo in homes only do so because they are not good enough for a studio. But there are RARE exceptions.
Leu used too. Aitchison does....
mykel605
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:53 am

MattCrunk wrote:

I happen to know a very good tattooist who has worked in prominent shops all over the country. He owned his own street shop for years, but nowadays he tattoos only from his home, much in the tradition of Japanese irezumi masters. He just simply got tired of the hustle and bustle of a street shop and now prefers the anonymity and privacy of a home studio, which, by the way, his is a dedicated room setup as professionally as any licensed shop. He only does large custom work, mostly half-sleeve or larger, by appointment only, and clients are by special referral only. I have work from him myself.

I also know of real heavyweights in the biz who sometimes tattoo out of hotel rooms (Ms. Von D aside). I myself have made house calls for special clients when circumstances didn't permit them to visit my studio. Of course this is a rare occurrence and a premium is always charged.

But, just the same remember that 99.9% of those tattooing from a home are indeed nothing but garden variety scratchers. Just making a point.

pretty much have to agree with matt, the trained artist can tattoo anywhere. i myself work out of what was at one time a home, my studio is the entire first floor and i live on the second floor of a past home. at my age(55) i had grown tired of my many years of the day to day street studio traffic but find i still enjoy tattooing just not at the level that a street studio often entales, i find tattooing by appointment a more relaxed concept for me for the last few years that i can actually work and affords me a bit more freedom to work as i can,mostly because i simply can not do repeated 12-15 hour days any more. i do agree more often than not a "home" situation translates to a scratcher reality but given the proper thought and care and proper regualtion it can work for some. i have a close relationship with the local HD but must say to work in this manner is far more expensive than operating any street studio i have ever operated in the past, but it works for me..............

that being said the original poster seems to simply want validation for fucking up and having a twisted tattoo experience. who the fuck has to provide their own needles for example? retarded and scary.
dreamer5
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 am

niteshadepromise wrote::happy1:

This should be fun.
i second that.... :lol:

oh wait....it WAS fun...for a while....guess the OP got pissed and left...oh well, there'll be another dumbass along any minute...i'll keep the popcorn handy.... :wink:
dreamer5
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:12 am

just a question tho....has ANYONE ever heard of an artist rubbing a deodorant stick over the area to be tattooed???? what possible purpose would that serve apart from spreading god knows what to a variety of people??? yikes....that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard of.....
yorvo
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:15 am

dreamer5 wrote:just a question tho....has ANYONE ever heard of an artist rubbing a deodorant stick over the area to be tattooed???? what possible purpose would that serve apart from spreading god knows what to a variety of people??? yikes....that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard of.....

It's an older technique. It's used just as the OP said to apply the stencil.
mshaf

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:25 am

yorvo wrote:
dreamer5 wrote:just a question tho....has ANYONE ever heard of an artist rubbing a deodorant stick over the area to be tattooed???? what possible purpose would that serve apart from spreading god knows what to a variety of people??? yikes....that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard of.....

It's an older technique. It's used just as the OP said to apply the stencil.
That's how the guy did my first tattoo in '94.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:27 pm

yeah i got the stick treatment back in 99 or so.
MattCrunk
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Yep. Used to be a very common practice for applying stencils.

Most regulations now proibit using a stick. But a lot of artists still use deordorant by melting it down into a tin and applying it with a paper towel, which is OK as long as you don't double dip.

Personally, I find it much easier to just use green soap.
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:31 pm

ChillMike wrote:
sadie703 wrote:
imnotatfault wrote:

i love that part ^_^
I have zero clue what this thread is about but that was lame go watch scribble jam for some real battles.
Agreed. That was horrible. I've heard and seen MUCH better.
John Brandes

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:41 am

When I first was apprenticing in the late 70's the mentor I had started me out the same way.I would use the stick to put the stencil on and then trim off a portion of the stick and wipe it with the 90% alcohol wipe.I would then put
portion that I trimed off and the wipe in the trash.
mykel605
Hardcore

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:42 pm

when i started, graphite and plastic stencils were the norm for small pieces( and i haven't heard of anyone using them in years) and applied with vasoline and deodorant with paper stencils for the rest, hell, my master wouldn't wear gloves but we have moved forward, i suppose.