question about a tattoo i wanna get

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Mnguy

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:48 pm

First a little background. I am 21, white, and live in minnesota so i dont see the sun 9 months out of the year.

I want to get a smiley face tattoo. Just your basic yellow face, black eyes, black mouth face. It will be about the diameter of of pop can. I am wondering how such a yellow tattoo would look on white skin. If it would look ok or if i should start thinking of other tattoo ideas.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:50 pm

do what pleases you. but it's a shitty idea.

yellow will look just fine.

we did 2 Ms. Pacman on some Nobel Prize winners a few days ago.

seems to me you guys like yellow circles a lot.
Mnguy

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:00 pm

lol. why is it a shitty idea?
EvilJay
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Mnguy wrote:lol. why is it a shitty idea?
Do you need an explanation?? Have you looked at any tattoo's done in the last 30 years??? It's pretty incredible what they can put on your skin these days... A pop can sized yelow smiley face is a little boring, dont you think???
Mnguy

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:11 pm

i realize that it is a little plain and boring, but it is a memorial tattoo. My mother passed away a few weeks ago and she loved smiley faces so thats why i am getting it. I was thinking about putting MOM at the top of the smiley face and her birth and death dates around the sides to act as a border and maybe make the yellow less intense when you look at it.
therookie
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Mnguy wrote:i realize that it is a little plain and boring, but it is a memorial tattoo. My mother passed away a few weeks ago and she loved smiley faces so thats why i am getting it. I was thinking about putting MOM at the top of the smiley face and her birth and death dates around the sides to act as a border and maybe make the yellow less intense when you look at it.
The best thing you can think of to represent your affection for your own Mother is the fact that she "loved smiley faces"??

It would be my guess that you could do way better of a job honoring her. Try to actually put some thought into it.

And, I would steer clear of the dates...
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:55 pm

Mnguy wrote:My mother passed away a few weeks ago and she loved smiley faces so thats why i am getting it.
Then get it. What has been done in the past 30years doesnt mean shit when compared to a meaninful tattoo. If you want a cool as hell tattoo, then it does...
Mnguy

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:55 pm

The best thing you can think of to represent your affection for your own Mother is the fact that she "loved smiley faces"??

It would be my guess that you could do way better of a job honoring her. Try to actually put some thought into it.

She more then loved them, she was obsessed. It was her thing. Online, it was all of her wallpapers, and her avatars. In her house, she had a blanket, three chairs, and two posters with smiley faces. She also painted a wall yellow in her house for the smiley face. They were a big part of her personality

Why would you stay away from dates?
Live4him
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:58 pm

well more so from the death dates, because that reminds you of their death, not their life. get something to memorialize her life, and don't include her passing
hgiles
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:59 pm

Then get it. Yellow will look fine on white skin. All tattoos/all colors look better on white skin.
pennyguy23
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Mnguy wrote:

She more then loved them, she was obsessed. It was her thing. Online, it was all of her wallpapers, and her avatars. In her house, she had a blanket, three chairs, and two posters with smiley faces. She also painted a wall yellow in her house for the smiley face. They were a big part of her personality

Why would you stay away from dates?
Sometimes you have to say Fuck what everyone else thinks. Get what you want to get. If it will make you think of your mom and smile everytime you look at it. GREAT, Thats why you are getting it right? But then again you asked.
buttwheat
Hardcore

Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 pm

I think with the right artist it could turn out OK. A 3-D looking smiley face would look good.
Antler
Hardcore

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:33 am

buttwheat wrote:I think with the right artist it could turn out OK. A 3-D looking smiley face would look good.
I disagree, I think a 3d one would look horrible!

I like the idea of a straight up smiley face tattoo, it's like something someone out of tank-girl would get, y'know like "I had this badge that I really liked so I just decided to tattoo that shit on my arm"
1sicv8
Hardcore

Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:30 am

the yellow will pop off ur pasty skin :) itll look great.

go for it man. and post pics when its done...

only suggestion on it is make it unique. draw it up urself or something...