New Artist Looking For Help!!!!

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Darknessaponthesewings

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:45 am

Im 17 years old, and Ive been interested in this career for a long time. Ive built up my portfolio but im not sure how to go about asking a real tattoo artist for an apprenticeship. I live in Northern New York, so I dont really have any money. Can someone please give me some advice?

:( :!:
BadWolf
Verified

Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:58 pm

Is this portfolio drawings?

If so, start taking them to legit tattooists and asking them to have a look at it. Listen to their comments without becoming offended. Visit as many LEGIT artists as you can, and if nothing pans out, give it some time, and use the info you gathered to do more...then go out and try again. It won't be easy. It won't be fun. And it may not happen overnight. But you are only 17...so don't be in a hurry, and hurry your way into a bad reputation you will spend the rest of your life trying to get rid of.
A

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:09 pm

"you must give into the artform tremendously, before you can even expect it to give anything at all, back to you".......

i have seen over a dozen 17 yr olds just like yourself, wanting to "get into" tattooing, within the last two weeks alone......it is EXTREMELY over saturated with "wannabe" artists already.......and because of this, you will not only have a very dificult time finding a reputable artist to even consider apprenticing you.......but you now have a million others just like yourself to contend with............as do we as well.......and for that reason alone........the people who are the best qulified to apprentice, are just NOT doing it.

and about the giving into......let me just say this......those 12+ people that came into the studio in the last two weeks looking for an education into something they ALL proclaimed they LOVE ......stood there shaking there heads no when i dropped names of more than a few VERY influentual artists/tattooers, and asked them what they thought of their work and their influence into pushing this artform and the level of quality and recognition to its highest possible level......they had NO IDEA of even who OR what i was even talking about........

and it was real funny that EVERY one of them siad no when i asked them if they painted/sculpted/ect....not one had a portfolio.......and only two out of the whole bunch had 1 or 2 tattoos, the rest had NO TATTOOS whatsoever.............amazing, to the point of being a joke.....

basicaly.....they knew NOTHING of the history, NOTHING of the very people who have made tattooing what it is today, NO CLUE as to what tattooing is, and should be, all about..............NO solid ARTISTIC output or real desire to even accomplish such a thing.......BUT, they ALL claim that they LOVE tattooing........

how do you love something you dont know ANYTHING about?

pure bullshit.......they either THINK they love it because its "cool", or they think its "easy money".........which i ASSURE you, it is not.....

they dont see the long dead winters that we all starve thru.....the VERY long hours we put into drawing, cleaning,building,preparing, ect....

it is NOT easy, at all........and i have seen COUNTLESS wannabes fall by the wayside over the years, when the reality of what being a true tattooer/artist is all about......and how much dedication and hard work it really does take......and the dues you must pay INTO the artform.

and i can assure you .......anyone worth getting an apprenticship under will KNOW just by talking to you, if you seriously love this artform.....

or if you are just another "wannabe"..... from the million others right behind you.......

good luck.......and dont expect it to be easy, by no means.....

it wont be.
BadWolf
Verified

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:48 am

very good points!
Darknessaponthesewings

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:15 am

Thanks for the replys. I just hope I can get enough balls (excuse my language, and its figuratively...i am female) to go talk to someone about it.

:shock:
Darknessaponthesewings

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:59 am

I still have one more thing to say however. I am not like everyother wannabe 17 year old artist. Im very serious about what I want in life, and Ive taken 8 art classes in the last 3 years. I agree completely that some people should take things seriously, and that this career isnt going to be easy but I know I will enjoy the work. Im dedicated and Im not going to give up on this.
A

Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:13 pm

ok......so you say.....you are not like every other wannabe........

lets hear it........what do you think tattooing is all about, and why do you love it....

lets hear your thoughts on what you know and think of the artforms rich history.....including who you believe made the biggest impact on what this artform is today, and why.......and finally.....how much coverage do you have yourself....and where did you get all the work done at?

lets see how much you have put into the artform............

*waiting
tat2tx
Location: shaw's tattoo studio 1660 westhiemer houston tx 77006

Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:39 am

i'm curious to read this book report :lol:
A

Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:27 pm

looks like she will be gettin an F for incomplete.
Darknessaponthesewings

Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:40 am

Alright Ill take your little questions with some answers.

Tattooing is about the individuality of people. Peoples tattoos represent a part of them that they chose to show in a different kind of way than anyone else. Its a permanent mark on someones life that reminds them of who they really are. Its also about the art. There are so many different art forms that I think have definatly made an impact on the art and tattooing but its not just artists. It started way before any of this so called "art age" with people that used tattooing as a way to determine status in a group. It all depends on what people make of it. Who do I think the most influential person/people are? Well it definately depends on how you look at it. The most influential people now are the people who decide to get tattoos and let others know that they arent worried about whats on their bodies, even if it is different. The most influential artist, I think, would have to be Damien Hirst or Ron Athey. Maybe even some of the weller known artists. And in case you dont know who Ron Athey is, he worked for a US circus when he decided to tattoo his "employees". He made a very big deal break out about the art in the United States, but not many people recognize him for his work. (early times, etc)

As for tattoos myself I have one on my lower back, a design I did myself. Got it done in New York. And one on my arm.

Any more questions?

:x :!: