Vancouver japanese tattoo

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

raijin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:11 am

Hi all - I'm new here!

I am moving to Vancouver in 4 weeks and I need to find a good traditional Japanaese tattoo artist for my backpiece...I am struggling to find people that focus on this style

Any recommendations?

I have work from Jason Saga, Henning Jorgensen, Alex Reinke and Wido de Marval so I expect the best I can get hold of...
BadTaste
Verified

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:52 am

I can't help but I'd love to see pics of your current work! thats quite the lineup.
raijin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 am

BadTaste wrote:I can't help but I'd love to see pics of your current work! thats quite the lineup.
Is it possible to upload photos to here?
beuneek
Hardcore

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 am

You could, but I find it much easier to use photobucket.com and posting them.
BadTaste
Verified

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:15 am

Yeah you either follow the upload link at the top of the page ( it takes a couple of days to go through though) or you can get a photobucket account (or something similar) and post images straight into the thread :)
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:17 am

That is a fucking amazing list of artist you have work from :shock: (RIP Jason)

And tell you the truth, if you have that kinda list of artists on you, I dont think there is a artist good enough to do your back in Vancouver. Not in that style anyway. Only one I can think of is Steve Moore who isnt anywhere near traditional even if he is world class.

www.getmooretattoos.com

Then there are couple of guys but the level, or even stlyle, to me isn't near those that you have work from

www.jefftam.com

www.adamsky.com

Seattle and Aaron Bell is relatively close

www.slavetotheneedle.com

He could be your best bet in that area.
raijin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:25 am

Flickr - hooked up!

Jason Saga:

Alex Binnie finished off the rat following Jason's passing:

Wido de Marval:

Henning Jorgensen:

raijin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:32 am

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:That is a fucking amazing list of artist you have work from :shock: (RIP Jason)

And tell you the truth, if you have that kinda list of artists on you, I dont think there is a artist good enough to do your back in Vancouver. Not in that style anyway. Only one I can think of is Steve Moore who isnt anywhere near traditional even if he is world class.

www.getmooretattoos.com

Then there are couple of guys but the level, or even stlyle, to me isn't near those that you have work from

www.jefftam.com

www.adamsky.com

Seattle and Aaron Bell is relatively close

www.slavetotheneedle.com

He could be your best bet in that area.
Thanks - my research has shown that Aaron would be good but I may be working a bit in San Fran so will see about Horitomo doing some work...

I am seeing Alex Reinke (Horikitsune) for another severed head next week in London - horimono - wooo hoooo
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 am

Those tattoos that you posted are some of the best I have seen in here. Great stuff! And if you are planning on going to San Fran then Horitomo would be a great choice! Horikitsune is also amazing artist. I cant wait to start my full body suit from Horimatsu (www.horimatsu.com) who is a close friend of Alex.

Nothing like japanese style tattoos. NOTHING.
raijin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 am

Horimatsu is rad - good luck!

What are you planning?
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 am

Taka (Hawk) on my back and propably some Momiji (maple leafs) to go along with it. Then there is a print by Yoshitoshi where Kumonryu is being tattooed and that will be part of the suit also. The position they are in modified because in the print they are sitting up.

The rest comes as we go :)
raijin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:47 am

Cool...

I am going to get a 9-tailed fox - the defeat of man
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:52 am

Kitsune is a great tattoo design. Alex has done couple of backpieces on them and they look fucking great!

Is the defeat of man a particular legend?
raijin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

Kitsune are often presented as tricksters, with motives that vary from mischief to malevolence. Stories tell of kitsune playing tricks on overly proud samurai, greedy merchants, and boastful commoners, while the crueler ones abuse poor tradesmen and farmers or devout Buddhist monks. Their victims are usually men; women are possessed instead. For example, kitsune are thought to employ their kitsune-bi or fox-fire to lead travelers astray in the manner of a will o' the wisp. Another tactic is for the kitsune to confuse its target with illusions or visions. Other common goals of trickster kitsune include seduction, theft of food, humiliation of the prideful, or vengeance for a perceived slight.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:08 am

Heh :) I actually just read the wikipedia description and tried to look what "defeat of man" is. Of course it was the point of the whole thing :oops:

What are your reason for getting the Kitsune? I have allways seen the nine tailed fox as some sort of a anarchist. Free thinker. And im talking about more like Mahayana buddhism type anarchism than some "scholar based anarchism" that has strick rules.