Thailand - Sak Yant Sacred Tattoo, need master reccomendatio

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

rsthomas

Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:53 am

Hello,

I am currently in SE Asia and plan to be in Bangkok the 1st week of October. I really want to get a sacred Sak Yant tattoo done by either a master practitioner or monk. I know there is a famous temple outside of Bangkok, but they do mass tattoos in big groups and it is hardly sterile. I would rather go to a private studio and have it done. Originally I was interested in the man who did Angelina Jolie's (Arjan Noo), but he is upwards of $1000 and I cannot afford that. I found some writing online about a guy named Arjan Sua, but cannot find an address for him. Can you please give me some recommendations with addresses? I would truly appreciate it. I am looking for the authentic/real deal master tattooer, not some touristy shop. Thank you so much!
buttwheat
Hardcore

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:21 am

If you are looking for a tattoo from a master you are going have to pay the big money, Maybe you should just stick with the "touristy" shops if you don't want to spend the money. note: I'm sure the master that did Angelina Jolies tattoo didn't know or care who she was.
Sorn

Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:20 am

Most Sak Yantra tattoos I've seen done by monks are very rough. I'd be very wary of paying money for one anyway apart from a donation.

If you want some very good Thai style stick work check out my friend Sorn in Phuket. You check out his work at www.nakhonsrithammarart.com
trevcam11
Hardcore

Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:41 pm

rsthomas wrote: I would rather go to a private studio and have it done.
As someone who studied Sak Yant for a year or so, I will tell you this isn't going to happen. You should look into what these tattoos symbolize more because it appears you don't. They don't care for much hygiene because most of the tattoos will protect or help the wearer. Mostly the needles are put into alcohol vases between clients. They also involve devotion in terms of mantras and prayer if you want the actual "magic" they are meant to consist of. If you don't care for the magic, then there is no real point in getting it because as was said, they are usually pretty rough and done in a "dot" style because of the needle used. Ajarn Noo is one of the most famous, even way before Angelina.

That being said, if you want a "studio", the only one I remember is Ajarn Thong (Tong sometimes) in Singapore who SOMETIMES travels to Thailand. I would advise looking into him, some of his work is really amazing in terms of line work.[/img]
Sorn

Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:31 pm

I think Sak Yantra like many aspects of Thai Buddhism has become a bit of a joke. I trained as a Vedic astrologer and have lived and traveled in Thailand for 25 years. The true teaching of the Buddha has little in common with much of what is called Buddhism in Thailand today which is more like Brahmanism with a mixture of local superstitions.

The recent Ram Jatukam amulet fad is a good example of how ridiculous some of these beliefs can become in Thailand.

If you believe a tattoo can protect you go for it. The real teaching of the Buddha is that there is no "you" so what will happen won't involve any "you" anyway, the "you" is just a thought. No more real than last nights dream.