Judge These Arists! copy links an look at portfolios!! thnks

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Hey ladies an gents, im getting a piece on my arm similar to the example you see below an ive narrowed it down to 2 artists (which I want yer opinions on who does overall better work), both say they will charge me by the section/piece of the tattoo because its basically multiple tattoo's just shaded together to what i call an "isolated sleeve" meaning not one detailed theme with color down the whole arm. Mine is black an grey with white highlights has an angel on the bicep, already have a cross on the upper arm, calligraphy phrase on the back an front of my forearm, an a design on the bulb of my shoulder.

What artist between these 2 (the links) does better overall work, can look at black an grey and color, w.e u want just judge who you would choose for the piece im getting, thanks guys, links are below!

http://www.tattoofactory.com/crew/artis ... ST_ID=13[b] Phil Cisco of Tattoo Factory[/b]. or
http://www.13por13.com/ricardo/gallery/main.php Ricardo Compean of Tatu Tattoo.
yorvo
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:36 pm

I'd go with Phil. His black and gray is more dynamic and has a wider range of values.
CxCx
Verified

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:54 pm

If you want soft shades and realism, I'd go with ricardo. If you want something more graphic that stands out a bit more and has a stylized edge, I'd go with Phil.

I prefer the later, personally, but I know scores of folks that would go for the former.
shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:13 pm

CxCx wrote:If you want soft shades and realism, I'd go with ricardo. If you want something more graphic that stands out a bit more and has a stylized edge, I'd go with Phil.

I prefer the later, personally, but I know scores of folks that would go for the former.
what do you mean by "later" and "former"? explain that. an also in the discription of what im getting it includes a phrase in calligraphy that starts on my forearm an the 2nd part to it is on the back of my forearm, although phil doesn't have examples of script an such, but i already have the font/style picked out so really what it comes down to is a hooded angel i want drawn up on the bicep with a urban street flavor to it. sure ricardo is really good at realisim, but at re-creating whats already given to him on paper (portraits) an icons. do you think that phil will draw a better angel from scratch with artistic presence to it that'll pop more. as well as have better skill at tieing things together with clouds an beams of light? because another big part of my tat is taking the cross i already have an adding a cloud backround making the beams of light i already have around it more like the ones present in the example above. thanks again
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:20 pm

shady08aftermath wrote:what do you mean by "later" and "former"? explain that.
seriously dude?

former = 1st guy mentioned
latter = 2nd guy mentioned
shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:33 pm

imnotatfault wrote:
shady08aftermath wrote:what do you mean by "later" and "former"? explain that.
seriously dude?

former = 1st guy mentioned
latter = 2nd guy mentioned
sorry man just didn click right away, thanks though
shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:36 pm

CxCx wrote:If you want soft shades and realism, I'd go with ricardo. If you want something more graphic that stands out a bit more and has a stylized edge, I'd go with Phil.
in the discription of what im getting it includes a phrase in calligraphy that starts on my forearm and the 2nd part to it is on the back of my forearm, although phil doesn't have examples of script an such, I already have the font/style picked out so thats just a matter of reproducing that, not creating it, so it doesn't bother me. So really what it comes down to is a hooded angel i want drawn up on the bicep with a urban street flavor to it. sure ricardo is really good at realisim, but at re-creating whats already given to him on paper (portraits) an icons. do you think that phil will draw a better angel from scratch with artistic presence to it that'll pop more. as well as have better skill at tieing things together with clouds an beams of light? because another big part of my tat is taking the cross i already have an adding a cloud backround making the beams of light i already have around it more like the ones present in the example above. thanks again guys
yorvo
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 pm

I like them both. I think Phil's style is closer to the example posted. Bolder outlines.
CxCx
Verified

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Phil's style seems more suited to what you want, with the exception of the script lettering. I think Ricardo's lettering is top notch, especially for that style. I guess I'm a bit torn over-all.
shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:24 pm

yorvo wrote:I like them both. I think Phil's style is closer to the example posted. Bolder outlines.
but do you think that phil is capable of reproducing something like the picture below, because this is almost exactly the font an such that the phrase is going to be done like on my fore-arm an back-arm! (but on the same arm) And when it comes down to it im gonna have to look at my forearm everyday. I mean is it easier to reproduce the calligraphy below if yer phil, an have everything else in the bag (angel, clouds, ect.) or is it easier for ricardo to do the angel, beams of light, an clouds, with the fore-arm in the bag. Its like what style is easier to adapt to out of yer comfort zone, calligraphy below or angels, light, clouds.
shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 pm

CxCx wrote:Phil's style seems more suited to what you want, with the exception of the script lettering. I think Ricardo's lettering is top notch, especially for that style. I guess I'm a bit torn over-all.
but do you think that phil is capable of reproducing something like the picture below, because this is almost exactly the font an such that the phrase is going to be done like on my fore-arm an back-arm! (but on the same arm) And when it comes down to it im gonna have to look at my forearm everyday. I mean is it easier to reproduce the calligraphy below if yer phil, an have everything else in the bag (angel, clouds, ect.) or is it easier for ricardo to do the angel, beams of light, an clouds, with the fore-arm in the bag. Its like what style is easier to adapt to out of yer comfort zone, calligraphy below or angels, light, clouds.
yorvo
Hardcore

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:55 pm

I'd think it would easier to copy lettering than imagery.
yorvo
Hardcore

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:07 am

The more I look at them Ricardo may be your guy. He could definitely handle the script for you. Most of his black and gray seemed a little fuzzy to me but he had a few clean ones. You show him what you showed us and he'd probably kill it.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 am

Kore Flatmo isn't that far

http://www.plurabella.com
shady08aftermath
Hardcore

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:13 pm

yorvo wrote:The more I look at them Ricardo may be your guy. He could definitely handle the script for you. Most of his black and gray seemed a little fuzzy to me but he had a few clean ones. You show him what you showed us and he'd probably kill it.
yer sayin it would be easier to copy lettering then imagery, then that means i should go with phil. An yer sayin ricardo should be my guy but you say that his work is fuzzy? what do you mean by that show me an example of his clean work an one of his fuzzy, an what causes that? thanks again