FAQ Search Memberlist Register Profile MPS Search Log in to check your private messages Log in

Adoption tattoo?

Goto page 1,   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tattoo Forum at Everytattoo.com Forum Index -> Tattoos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magnumman

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (3)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Adoption tattoo? Reply with quote

Here's the story...my sister and I were adopted as infants & we have talked about getting symbolic tattoos for quite some time. Unfortunately I have not been able to settle on a design I like to adequately represent this. There is a pretty basic "adoption symbol" we found which I am considering having done. My sister and a couple of friends think I should just get the symbol alone and in black/gray. I'm not so sure and have thought about maybe adding something to enhance the design or coming up with something entirely different for representation. I thought about incorporating a rose or two (flower of my birth month) or doing a tree of life (not likely) but just am not sure.

Anyway, I was just looking for opinions on this symbol (without the colors) and suggestions for possible enhancements or leaving it alone for the symbolism or other ideas altogether. I have other tattoos which don't really have any meaning besides I liked the image so I think I'm OK with a less eye appealing tattoo with more meaning. Opinions, please.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/Mrs_Mandy/adoption-symbol-tattoo-28220.jpg
suzridesahog

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. The symbol has great potential with a little artist pizazz.
buttwheat

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (4)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey whatever floats your boat. The symbolism is cool the tattoo is ok I guess.
Rufus08

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (2)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the colors used in the photo.
magnumman

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (3)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it needs "pizazz", just not sure waht that should be. I suppose I can leave it up to the artist but wanted to give some basic direction. That's why I've thought about adding the roses but I don't know if that's the answer and if it would go together.
I also agree the symbolism is cool and the tattoo is just OK. That's why I want to enhance it in some way. But for this particular tattoo I'm willing to sacrifice some visual appeal due to the symbolic importance. I just want to make as much of an OK design as I can.
I don't really like the colors in the picture all that much. I'm also not sure if I want to just change the color or go with black/gray.
evilrockangel

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but I would bet that symbol would be mistaken pretty often for the gay pride symbol.

Super_Sam wrote:

no, I dont look for trouble usually
anthoync

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont like the idea of an adoption symbol. id rather something that focuses on the parents that adopted you. but hey, thats just one mans opinion.
magnumman

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (3)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilrockangel wrote:
I hate to say it, but I would bet that symbol would be mistaken pretty often for the gay pride symbol.

You might be right about that especially with the colors in the picture. Maybe another reason to go with black/gray. I don't thnk too many people would recognize an adoption symbol. If I do get it it will probably go on my chest so it won't be frequently visible but as long as I know what it means that's all that really matters.
magnumman

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (3)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthoync wrote:
i dont like the idea of an adoption symbol. id rather something that focuses on the parents that adopted you. but hey, thats just one mans opinion.

From what I've read the 3 sides on the triangle are supposed to represent the birth parents, the adopted child and the adoptive parents. So all parties are supposedly represented but you make a good point. I do plan on getting something else down the road to symbolize just my adoptive parents.
I appreciate the opinions.
yorvo

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some with the triangle inside the heart. Simple, but I think it could be crazy by the right person.
magnumman

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (3)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yorvo wrote:
I've seen some with the triangle inside the heart. Simple, but I think it could be crazy by the right person.

In what way though? That's wht I'm trying to figure out, what can be done to such a simple design to make it "crazy?" Color? Shading? Something else added to it? I have confidence in my artist but I want to give him some general ideas.
davey_p

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (6)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the design can have potential, you can make it very agressive, maybe in the style of biomechanical?

like this

Last edited by davey_p on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
therookie

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it just reminds me the the gay heartagram thingy.
magnumman

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (3)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it does look like the heartagram. Correct me if I'm wrong, the heartagram is the symbol for the band HIM, right, but the gay pride symbol is quite different.
therookie

Enthusiast Hardcore

My Tattoos (0)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnumman wrote:
I know, it does look like the heartagram. Correct me if I'm wrong, the heartagram is the symbol for the band HIM, right, but the gay pride symbol is quite different.

Yeah, you're right; it's a Ville Valo thing (lead singer from HIM). I wasn't using "gay" in a literal sense...it was purely derrogatory and very un-PC in nature Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tattoo Forum at Everytattoo.com Forum Index -> Tattoos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1,   
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: