Looking for my first major piece

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

trevcam11
Hardcore

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:13 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site and looking for some info before I attempt to get my first big piece. A little history, I have 2 tattoos as of now, the typical upper back and upper arm areas. Neither are overly exquisite, though I am 100% happy with both of them. After a few years of planning, I have come up with a design that I really want on my side. It is rather large and pretty complex. My question is how exactly does one go about approaching this situation? Should I just take my design to artists and see what they think/feel about it? (I am a horrible artist so it's just a pathetic sketch from me that I'd hope they can take their own way). I would like to get a few artists opinions before I make my final decision, so is it rude to have an artist look at it and maybe even draw something up if I eventually decide to go another way? I really want this piece to be perfect since it will be my first really large and detailed piece and a design I've toyed with for years. Also, since at this point I hope I still have your attention, does anyone have any suggestions for artists around the Illinois area. I already saw the thread with artists and am currently looking at them, but any personal experiences would be great. Thanks for any help.
solidpens
Hardcore

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 am

trevcam11 wrote: Should I just take my design to artists and see what they think/feel about it?
Yes.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:36 am

illinois ?

chicago is filled with awesome studios.

i d start with Insight Studios
TylerDurden
Hardcore

Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:40 am

Check out Deluxe Tattoo's, they are by far the best I have seen in the city.
trevcam11
Hardcore

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Aivanne wrote:illinois ?

chicago is filled with awesome studios.

i d start with Insight Studios
I've been looking at Insight and Deluxe and a few others in the area. I guess my question is more...how do I get an artist to take me seriously without a promise of actual work. I want to get a vibe of what they are thinking because my drawing is well...shitty. I'd like to see as many ideas as I can before I make the decision.
hgiles
Hardcore

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:35 pm

Trev,
The truth of the matter is, a deposit and an appointment will do you wonders in getting the artists attention. Good artists are too busy to go chasing birds in the bushes.

Do your own research. Go to the shop take a look at the work that's in the portfolios and that's walking around the shop on real live customers. If you fall in love with it, put your money on it. If you have to draw something up for your artist then you're going about it the wrong way, or you don't trust the artist's creativity enough.

If you have to give the artist too much direction then neither of you is going to enjoy the experience.
therookie
Hardcore

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 pm

trevcam11 wrote: I've been looking at Insight and Deluxe and a few others in the area. I guess my question is more...how do I get an artist to take me seriously without a promise of actual work. I want to get a vibe of what they are thinking because my drawing is well...shitty. I'd like to see as many ideas as I can before I make the decision.
Unless the artist has the rock star ego thing going on and is a total d bag, he/she is going to "take you seriously" and respect the fact that you're looking for the right artist to do the piece. They want your business because that's what pays their bills.

I would suggest that you bring in your own drawing to the artist as a reference only. Don't worry if it's shitty. You're not the artist; they are. But the drawing should achieve the goal of conveying your basic idea and concept to the artist, and that's all it needs to do. They can take it from there.

Oh, but don't expect them to draw the thing up for you until you have set up an appointment and put down a deposit.