Top Five Favorite Books

Talk about anything....

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid

sadie703
Hardcore

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:30 am

Anything by Jodi Picoult ... but my fave by her would be "19 Minutes" which is based off of columbine.

Harry Potter series (#7 being my fave)

The cell-Stephen King

Innocent Man -John Grisham

and idk if this would count as a book but "Zits" comics i have a ton of the collections

and Da Vinci Code was pretty good too
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Just wrote a blog about THE book at the moment

Cormac Mccarthy - The Road

I was going to write something myself because I'm so frustrated because I can't find books that really, I mean REALLY, hold my attention. But this turned out to be a blog instead. I have started many great books, but as of late, not single one of them have had such an impact on me as Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I haven't heard nothing about it before I read it and only knew that Coen brothers made a movie out of one of his books.

I was just watching his interview with Oprah and he says that many times you can get frustrated because you know what the perfect thing is. You just can't put it down in writing, but you still try to achieve it. Funny how it feels like destiny. A writer who's book I loved says that he has sometimes trouble finding that perfect setting and here I am, hoping to try to find a book that would have that perfect setting as in his book. I can't seem to find it, but I try. Motherfucker, irony is my lover.

But that book. Fuck. The whole package is perfect. From the way the book looks to how it is written. I want more books like this! I have found out that I can't get trough most of the books that I start, where the writer explains what the setting is, then gives the people in the setting words to speak. It all is just so fucking shallow and laughable! You just think that "Who speaks like that? Fucking moron". There isn't any authenticity in that. Its like a rehearsed play. But The Road was just in the flesh. The dialog was like this for pages.

Father, are we going to die?
What? No. Stop asking that
Why
Stop it
Would you lie?
I don't know. No
Ok
Ok

That's pretty close of how it was in the book. That's how people speak. Its not forced. Or maybe my view of the world is different. It doesn't try to explain everything. I just cant get enough of the simple idea, that feeling the book brought out. It read like I would like all the movies to look like. Fuck! It was so good. I mean, the book was all that I have hoped for to see in a screen. I just love all the post-apocalyptic ideas. And nowhere in the book did this even come up! I mean, would it come up in reality? If the world has really gone to shit and you are just out there, surviving, hiding in abandoned buildings and killing other people if necessary, then I don't think you will start philosophizing that how we ended up like this. Fuck no! You just survive like you would do now. That's why it is a great book. It is the same when by just looking at someones hands you know to not to fuck with them. You know that this one has lived.

End of fucking story. Nothing more needs to be said.
Older blog about other favorite books here
BadTaste
Verified

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:59 pm

I never saw this thread before, to the Twilight fans omg that last book. what a fucking LOL! best laugh I've had in ages, it was like bad fan fiction!!

My faves, all of Terry Pratchetts Disc world books,

Good Omens - TP and NG
the Walking dead graphic novels.
Clive barkers Abarat series
umbrella academy
um... lots of others, been drinking. YAY!
hooves
Hardcore

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Finished up with the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Awesome book series, based off the HBO show True Blood. The books are way better than the show definitely. I was hesistant to start reading vampire works again. I used to read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series back in HS and while the concept was good, the books just kept getting more and more smutty and Anita kept getting more and more powerful. But the Sookie series has me craving more and I can't wait till she comes out with the next book.

Everyone at work is obsessed with Twilight. They think it's the new Harry Potter (which I don't think it could ever be). I finished up the fourth book about two weeks ago and I was pretty bored with the series. Not enough action for me and I agree with BadTaste, definitely like a bad fanfic.
niteshadepromise
Hardcore

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:17 am

Neverwhere-Neil Gaiman

The Chronicles of Prydain-Lloyd Alexander(this includes all six books. Most people recognize The Black Cauldron)

The Bartemaeus Trilogy-Jonothan Stroud(Kinda like Harry Potter, but with more sarcasm :D)

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles-Patricia C. Wrede

The Thief of Always-Clive Barker

I'm a member of goodreads.com, and usually update a lot of my reading there. I'm definitely going to be reading a lot more as soon as I get home. One more week! yay!

I have to say, though...Twilight is horrible. I really didn't like it before when my boyfriend was told to read it...but I've picked it up to just TRY it...and I seriously don't like it even more(if it were even possible). Not even going into the subject matter(I could go on for paragraphs...and have already once), but Stephanie Meyer writes like she's never passed a middle school English class.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:20 pm

niteshadepromise wrote:Neverwhere-Neil Gaiman
Liked it very much. If you havent read American Gods, do it.

My top 5 would be

Cormac McCarthy - The Road

Reasons stated above.

Neil Gaiman - American Gods

Just the perfect book for a dreamer who allways has wanted to be a superhero. Has that same kind of aura to it. You could be the chosen one. And it really speaks highly to me because the olden ways have been mixed so good with the new. The reason why gods are in different countries is worth the read itself. Magical.

Edward Bunker - Education of a Felon: A Memoir

I have read this 5 times and would read it right now if I had it here. There are so many aspects at play when you read this. You just marvel in shock that how brutal things he has gone trough in such a young age. Then you read silently while holding your breath how he inflicted horrors to others. When a multiple murderer begs for mercy from Edward, just barely 17, in a shower room and then he is kicking back in a swimming pool at a mansion, the contrast is astronomical.

Life can be fucking crazy.

Noah Levine - Dharma Punx

Other biography that I just love. About punk rock. A lot of fucking drugs. Pogoing. Death. Tattoos. Buddhism. And another change in life. Great fucking book that has helped me a lot. Any kind of preaching is at zero. Just honest and raw. Dharma Punx.

Richard Matheson - I am Legend

If you loved The Road, change is you will love Mathesons I am Legend. If you saw the movie, then this is nothing like it. It is dense. Hopeless. Fun. Killing cool. Small. Silent. Suffocating. And pure fucking bad ass motherfuckery all together! He is a legend.
niteshadepromise
Hardcore

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:56 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:
I haven't yet, but it's on my To-Read list.

So far I've just read Neverwhere and Good Omens(another one of my faves, but I didn't want to put two of the same author, even though Pratchett co-wrote it), and a little bit of Sandman. Even that is enough for him to be one of my favorite authors. :D
linx
Hardcore

Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:52 am

Dahlgren (Samual R Delany) One of the best sci fi books I've read. About the collapse of civilization. An epic read.

Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert Heinlein)

The Integral Yoga (Sri Aurobindo)

A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)

Candide (Voltaire)
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:36 am

niteshadepromise wrote:
PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:
I haven't yet, but it's on my To-Read list.

So far I've just read Neverwhere and Good Omens(another one of my faves, but I didn't want to put two of the same author, even though Pratchett co-wrote it), and a little bit of Sandman. Even that is enough for him to be one of my favorite authors. :D
I have read The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 which are collections of all the sandman comics.. Loved them. Still I think there is the Vol. 3.
Last edited by PyrrhusDarwinCastello on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:50 am

Here is a list of books I have started in a months time, but didnt finish them. Pisses me off that I'm too picky/authors arent good enough

Herman Melville - Moby Dick

At parts little dry reading. I got to the page 182, there are 848 pages in the book... Well written and I liked it, but felt like walking in a swamp.

Joseph Heller - Catch 22

Pretty good fuckimcrazygetmeoutofthisfuckingwar type of deal. Just didnt feel like reading it.

Ursulua K. Leguin - The Dispossessed

2 weeks, got to page 18.

H. G. Wells - War of the Worlds

Bored immediately.

Alan Weisman - The World Without Us

I didnt want to read how some fucking roof degenerates after time. Gay.

Walter M. Miller, Jr - A Canticle for Leibowitz

Just didnt like it.

I also started Robert Heinlein's book, something about some war. Bored me. Its HARD to find good books. Really hard.
niteshadepromise
Hardcore

Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:04 pm

I have to say...out of all the books I've read recently...the only one to really give me a hard time(not including Twilight...I'm not even going to acknowledge that as a book) was Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

Now...don't get me wrong, it was an okay book. It was interesting seeing how the Witch of the West actually made her own enemies(Dorothy and her group)...though from what I hear, it's spelled out to you more in the musical(the book is more of a mention that you gotta figure out on your own). Other than that...well...I had to take three breaks from it to read other books because I got bored with parts of it pretty often.
And it just started to seem like a collection of feminist dribble early on that made me roll my eyes often.
And other parts just didn't make sense.

So...yeah.

I'm looking into reading a bunch of books once I get home. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones has been on my list for a while. Definitely American Gods, and strangely, City of Ember I've heard is good. I like reading books that movies are based off of.
There's another book(part of a series) called City of Bones(has no relation to City of Ember) that my boyfriend has read and said was really good, so I'll probably be picking that up soon too...
hooves
Hardcore

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:07 pm

PyrrhusDarwinCastello wrote:Here is a list of books I have started in a months time, but didnt finish them. Pisses me off that I'm too picky/authors arent good enough

Herman Melville - Moby Dick

At parts little dry reading. I got to the page 182, there are 848 pages in the book... Well written and I liked it, but felt like walking in a swamp.

Joseph Heller - Catch 22

Pretty good fuckimcrazygetmeoutofthisfuckingwar type of deal. Just didnt feel like reading it.

Ursulua K. Leguin - The Dispossessed

2 weeks, got to page 18.

H. G. Wells - War of the Worlds

Bored immediately.

Alan Weisman - The World Without Us

I didnt want to read how some fucking roof degenerates after time. Gay.

Walter M. Miller, Jr - A Canticle for Leibowitz

Just didnt like it.

I also started Robert Heinlein's book, something about some war. Bored me. Its HARD to find good books. Really hard.
I had to read Moby Dick back in HS and it bored the hell out of me.

I tried reading 1984 by George Orwell and it too bored the crap out of me.

It's so hard to find a good book these days. I'll definitely have to write these down on my to be read list.
Live4him
Hardcore

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:23 pm

I read whatever I'm interested in. Grammar doesn't bother me and to me that isn't what makes a great book. I adore the Twilight books, at least the first couple, the last one was pretty out there.

Lately I've been writing as well. Finished one novel and am now working on another, it's extremely amazing and I adore doing that. I'm not an amazing writer by any means, but people find the stuff I've written readable, and some really like it.

Oh and I just got done reading Brisingr and it was pretty good. A lot of fluff, but otherwise it was an intriguing storyline and he pulled it off fairly well.
BreathTaker
Hardcore

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:34 pm

I think most of the twilight fans, including myself, are too into the storyline to even care about the vocabulary used. ive read all of the books and ive ran into a few boring spots in 2 of them. i havent even finished the last one it got so boring. not looking forward to the movie either. :roll:
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:46 am

Live4him

Thats great that you finished a nove allready. You are so young still. Show some of your stuff. I wish I would have the patience to write a novel. I dont. Shorter the better :D

And btw. What the fuck is/are the Twilight stuff that people talk about?! I have no clue.