Animal portraits in Melbourne?

Recommend Artists/Studios, ask for help finding the perfect artist for your tattoo.

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid

gravychic

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:59 am

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some help in locating an artist to do a couple black and grey portraits of my beloved dogs. I lost the first about 6months ago after 16 faithful years, and the second was lost in an accident about 3months ago after only being with us for a month.

I miss both of them terribly and have decided to tattoo both my pups on my leg so they can always be by my side no matter what.

i was wondering if anybody could suggest a suitable artist for the job? ive had a look at a bit of work from korpus and also eternal instinct which were good, and was wondering if anybody knew of any other places that would be worth checking out?

i am even willing to go interstate if thats what it takes to find the perfect artist! so yeah, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everybody!
Yvonne
dingoshred

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:58 am

If you are prepared to travel interstate, than without a doubt Les Rice in Sydney.

He won the Archibald Portrait Prize (as in the famous potrait painting competition) a couple of years back.

http://artintimidatinglife.com/
gravychic

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:06 am

ahh awesome, you are a legend dingoshred! thanks for the link mate i really appreciate it! i went to the site and checked out his work, it was great, just a pity there wasn't more to look at!!

thanks again for the hookup :D
BadTaste
Verified

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:48 am

Sarah Melder from Dynamic tattoo, right there in Melbs. Amazing at portraits! There may be a sit of a wait but it's well worth it! worth checking out Tattoo magic too. Both world class shops and by far the best in Australia (imo :wink: )
gravychic

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks badtaste for that bit of info :D

I have actually had a look at dynamic tattoo and was very impressed by a couple artists including sarah melder, but i didnt notice many portraits in her gallery actually, maybe i should have a second look?

EDIT

i just had a second look at dynamic tattoo and realised that the sarah i saw was sarah bowyer not sarah melder!! so i guess i have to have a better look ;) unless they are the same person??

Also i was looking through some work at korpus and i thought brian graydon's work was pretty damn good, that one portrait of the grandpa seemed so real it was scary! I sent him an email asking a few questions about dog portraits, so hopefully i will get a reply sometime soon :)

thanks so much you guys for the help, this place rocks!
dingoshred

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:15 am

The other person I'd suggest is Trevor Bennett (again out of private studio in Sydney). Again he has a massive wait.

ignore the ghey bit of tribal with it

or even Nathan Puata at Tatudhama in Sydney

I can't think of anyone else but Sarah off the top of my head in Melb.....
dingoshred

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:16 am

BadTaste wrote:Sarah Melder from Dynamic tattoo, right there in Melbs. Amazing at portraits! There may be a sit of a wait but it's well worth it! worth checking out Tattoo magic too. Both world class shops and by far the best in Australia (imo :wink: )
Thats a big call.
sananjana

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:04 pm

very nice your information ok thanks
and i am also like animal portraits

Image Image
dan_T_jones
Hardcore

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:28 am

BadTaste wrote:Sarah Melder from Dynamic tattoo, right there in Melbs. Amazing at portraits! There may be a sit of a wait but it's well worth it! worth checking out Tattoo magic too. Both world class shops and by far the best in Australia (imo :wink: )
Man you love those shops lol.
BadTaste
Verified

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:49 am

Why wouldn't I :p
dan_T_jones
Hardcore

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:00 pm

BadTaste wrote:Why wouldn't I :p
They are awesome shops, i'll give you that. I'm pretty certain I'll get a tat from either one of them, this based solely on your advice.